myLOVE: Wil strikes again

Remember this post? A mom NEVER wants to get a call like this: "Hello, Mrs. Walls? This is the paramedic. You're son was hit by a car. We're en route to the hospital..."

Wil got hit by a car today while crossing the street. Hell of a kick-off to the weekend. He was in the crosswalk, going to catch his bus to school. He looked both ways and got pegged off when he was over halfway to the curb. (trust me - he doesn't walk fast, ever - there was PLENTY of time to notice a pedestrian in the crosswalk at a traffic circle.) The driver was too busy looking LEFT to merge into RIGHT turning traffic to look RIGHT for pedestrians. Wil is fine - he got lucky... after being hit by the car and bouncing off the windshield hard enough to shatter it, he now jokes about rolling off the other side and not "sticking the landing." He spent several hours pretending to think it was all funny, while involuntarily shuddering and shaking as his body did what his teenage brain was too cool to register: he was hit by a freakin' car. To accompany several bruises and really sore muscles, he has road rash covering most of the right side of his back so deep you can see the pattern of the ribs that scraped over the asphalt.

As a bicycle commuter, I am all too aware of how often drivers making a RIGHT turn are so busy looking LEFT for oncoming traffic that they fail to look RIGHT for people crossing streets or walking on the sidewalk. (I ride on the sidewalk when I have Serejane in the trailer, because drivers are a$$holes.) In my first year as a bicycle commuter I had my share of road rash to this effect, twice dodging right-turning traffic and once being hit by someone who just didn't bother to look. Now, in my fourth year of bicycle commuting, I never cross any street, driveway, or alley until I have made eye contact with any driver who happens to be there. They normally don't notice that I'm there until they've already gunned it and are proceeding into the intersection, their facial expressions are all the same: "Holy sh*t! I didn't even look!" If there's a passenger, the passenger usually looks completely stunned, while the driver looks straight ahead pretending not to have seen you, like if they feign ignorance they will somehow be exempt from acknowledging they could have killed someone.

While Wil's last visit to the hospital was self-inflicted, there was virtually NOTHING he could have done to avoid what happened to him today besides stay in the house, or be made of steel. Vehicles cannot safely fly through an uncontrolled crosswalk at 50kms an hour during peak rush-hour. Slow the hell down, and look both ways before you proceed, both as a pedestrian AND as a driver. I think every driver on the roads should spend a week bicycle and foot-commuting to remind them that while they floor it to make a break in traffic, there might be a fragile body made of breakable bones and soft flesh that will always, each and every time, be more important than punching the clock on time because you hit snooze one too many times. Lives are at stake: always look both ways before proceeding.


Comments

Deanna said…
OMG!!! I'm so glad Wil is ok!! That is scary!! *hugs*
. said…
oh my goodness! thinking of you and Wil - that is probably one of the scariest things that a parent (and a kid) can endure. I hope he heals fast and that the loser driver gets a big wake-up call from this...
OMG! Poor Wil. How scary. Thank God he's OK. My Mom heart just skipped a beat. Thinking of you guys
fmartell2 said…
OMG!!! My heart just sunk at the same time as my stomach jumped for my throat!!!
I am so glad that he wasn't seriously hurt!! My mom got that phone call.... Mrs. Park, your daughter was just in a car accident....
I can't even begin to fathom what that feels like.
BIG HUGS to all of you!!!!
Glad that your son is okay Hope, that must have been a horrible phone call to recieve.

We all need to think about our driving habbits. Edmontonians are driving in the majority very large vehicles, talking on cell phones, drinking our coffees, distracted by children in the back seat, speeding and not really paying attention to the road, it only takes a second of distraction and we could change our lives or that of someone elses forever.

As a cyclist (in NZ) i have been hit twice by vehicles, and my brother once. We weren't badly injured but a school friend of mine died when she was hit riding to school (low sun).

There's always enough enironmental distractions, such as low sun, poor weather conditions etc, already adding unessessary distractions to our driving.

We, as drivers do need to be more vigilent, looking both ways, slowing down, looking out for pedestrians, cyclists and having a little more respect for other people on the road.

Thats all i have to say : )
Tonikka said…
OMG!!!! I am so glad he is ok..... OMG!!!
Lindsay said…
Oh Hope! That's awful. My mouth fell to the floor when I read this. I just can't imagine and I am so glad he is ok. (((((hugs)))) and thank you I will not only start paying more attention but I will teach my kids to always make eyes contact!!!
Helena said…
I can't imagine how it must feel to get a phone call like that. I am just glad that Wil is okay. I sure hope that you are doing okay too. ((HUGS))

I certainly know about drivers gunning it. I was walking with my two girls just last week. Just a side neighbourhood street and we were halfway across, Ava walking her bike and me pushing a stroller, when a truck didn't slow down at all but decided to gun it. He turned off a side street so he wasn't even visible when we started crossing.
alphonsedamoose said…
I'm so glad he is okay. Nobody ever wants to hear those words from a paramedic.
Lynda said…
That is indeed a very scary phone call. I'm so glad he's ok. Big hugs.....

L
xoxoxo
Jordan said…
Too scary. When I run and drivers aren't looking right I like to spit a big loogie on their windows. John punches car hoods! I call it pedestrian rage and it's well deserved :)

Look up! Look around! We're not all driving! Yeesh!
Princesstefer said…
:( I'm so sorry, that's horrible, glad to hear he's mostly ok though.
This is a pet peeve of mine. You'd think that many drivers where born into their vehicles and it would never occur to them that some other people may actually be walking. I've been hit by cars three times, twice as a small child.
That's so scary! I agree with you, I NEVER cross until the driver has made eye contact...and even then I don't trust them!
I'm glad he's ok!
PixelPie said…
Holy crap. What a phone call to get. What a thing to happen. Thank God he came through it. But what an idiot of a driver. Is the driver being charged at least? I hope so, or at least they should have some sort of consequence other than having a broken windshield from a teenage kid bouncing off of it. Sheesh.

I totally agree that there are WAY too many drivers out there that are too busy in their own heads, concerning themselves with only their lives. There are too many 'accidents' that should never happen in the first place.

Share the friggen road, open your eyes and put down the G-damned phone.

All the best Wil.
Oh my goodness Hope!

That must have been so terrifying, I can't imagine receiving a call like that.. I am so glad that Wil is okay, and you are all in my thoughts and prayers :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Rocketlily said…
Hope, I glad to hear your son was OK after this. I'm sure it was initially one the worst moments a parent has to go through.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.