myLOVE: celebrating 5 years

Grab a hanky - today is Serejane's birthday. She is 5. Of course, the Garden Tea Party isn't until this weekend and I don't have any of the oldies but goodies handy, but I promise I'll put together a little montage in the next few days lol.

I can't celebrate any of the kids' accomplishment without a part of my heart crushing a little bit, that weird bittersweet mixture of pride and pain that is watching your babies grow up. On Tuesday night Serejane rode on two wheels for the first time; I remember like it was yesterday her standing in our kitchen, red Robeez on her feet, big grin on her face, teetering as she stood on two legs for the first time at the ripe old age of 9 months - just days later she was walking. I have no delusions about why I felt compelled to get a dog.


I think, on some very deep level, I needed my little girl to smooth out the rough edges I had after my divorce - someone to sew frilly pink things for and stop being so bloody hard. Our children needed her - she is the biological glue that puts the garnish on our crazy blended family. And my Daddy needed her, too - he needed a chance to hold a baby girl of his own flesh and blood without being a drunk. He said so, a few weeks before he died.


Despite the fact they know they are the centre of the Universe, I doubt any 5-year old on the planet can really fathom the profound impact their short time on earth has had on the people around them. I'm looking forward to an evening spent eating mushroom soup and grilled cheesers (the birthday girl's supper request) then maybe going to the library for some special bedtime birthday books. Then hugging and kissing and tucking in all my babies before they aren't there to hug and kiss and tuck in.


Happy birthday, my littlest cupcake. You are very loved.



muchLOVE,

Mama

Comments

fmartell2 said…
I very clearly remember you swearing up and down that she was a BOY!! And that you wouldn't do the pink frilly things with her.
I also remember you laughing at me while rubbing my pregnant Mikael belly with little girl patent leather shoes... hoping baby would pick up on the girl vibes! How many shiny black shoes has Serejane had??
I can't believe that either one of our babies are 5! It is very bittersweet.
Allyson said…
What a beautiful tribute to your darling firstborn. She is indeed a little blessing with a very wonderful mommy. xx
Deanna said…
What a great tribute to your babu girl!! You almost made me cry!!

Happy Birthday, Serejane!!
Jordan said…
Ooooh sigh. The red puppy robeez. The big cheeks and big bright eyes. The mischevious grin and sticky hands. Such a hard process of letting them go into the world... *happiest of birthdays serejane!*
Happy Birthday Serejane ! I spent the day thinking about you while making your special presents !

Mommy: Love the tribute :)I hope she reads it one day:)
Megan said…
OK so definitely needed that Kleenex!! Hope the way you describe your love for your children leaves me with a calm sense of anticipation to one day have my own children to love and cherish!
Helena said…
This is beautiful and Serejane will cherish this one day.
Tanya said…
Beautiful tribute, happy birthday Serejane!
kate said…
My goodness, 5 already?
cathy said…
I cannot believe she is FIVE! I think she is very lucky to have such a wonderful Mom.

Happy Birthday!
Lynda said…
Happy Belated Birthday, SJ!

FIVE years already.......

L
xo

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.