reverse culture shock

I know I still have LOTS of pictures to post, and you're all being SO very patient with me... however, I must warn you that I am in full-fledged reverse culture shock, a phenomenon that (apparently, ~whew~) is quite common, though most of the people I've talked to about the trip can't really associate. And while I admit I'm not a totally seasoned traveler, I have had enough experiences traveling abroad that I have comparisons, and the trip to the Dominican Republic has affected me in a much different way than my other travels ever did.



I've gotten into some arguments, gotten into some trouble, gotten into some heated debates. I've expressed some thoughts I have previously censored and made some statements I've never really had the balls to make before, and I'm actually pretty (more than) OK with it. I was profoundly and with any luck irreversibly affected by the trip, for which I intend to make no apologies. There are things I have often pondered which were affirmed in huge, living, breathing ways.


What it means to ME is huge - though others who have not experienced the same thing kind of think I've gone a little nutso - and so I'm willing to let go and ride the wave as I'm assured it does come full circle. All the readings I've done have promised me that not only is re-entry shock normal, but in fact has the ability to turn me 'cosmopolitan.' Yay! Me? Cosmopolitan? Heck, yeah - I'd like to be cosmopolitan!


So if I'm acting weird, it's normal.  If I'm acting extra weird, it's extra normal.  Please be extra forgiving of my extra weirdness while I traverse this extra normal bridge between Edmonton and Puerto Plata.  If you haven't experienced reverse culture shock, you don't know what you're missing out on... (D&E - if on the off chance I go completely insane, I'll send you the bill for the therapy...)

Comments

kate said…
I will tell you that it gets easier with time, but the feeling will never ever leave you. Ana left today, and reading your post made me ache for her.
I am sure nobody thinks you are nuts. I think your calling is " humanitarian" ! LOL! ! Brad and Angelina do it all the time :)
ticblog said…
I think I'm more of an anthropologist than humanitarian. I think there are a lot of misguided philanthropists out there. I'm a little too poor, selfish, and social-scientist to be humanitarian. lol

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.