homecoming

After the service, during which the word 'stubborn' was used in reference to Gramma by 3 different people, we headed out to the cemetery.  My family loves to socialize.  The funeral attendants complained, "This is the type of family that never leaves..."  Considering it was a cemetery, I assume he was referring to the guests present at the burial.  Otherwise, that comment might have seemed redundant.  Or maybe eery...

My Gramma loved sweet peas, baking, and crocheting.  None of us Grandkids can remember a time when her garden wasn't being planted, tended, in bloom, harvested, or being planned.  She also loved helium-filled balloons.  Every birthday, a big bouquet of helium balloons was de rigeur.

My Gramma came from the old country, and taught herself how to read English using comics. My Daddy taught himself how to play guitar. And I taught myself how to use a camera.

Honest to goodness, the only time I ever crave an egg-salad sandwich is in a church basement or legion hall after a funeral.  I had THREE and my cousin Sandra laughed her ass off at me photographing this sandwich for my friend Sally. (The ladies who put on the luncheon got tired of us hanging around, too, and just started clearing stuff from the tables before it was finished... so we moved the party to the parking lot...)

What would a trip East of Edmonton be without a stop at The Big Egg.  The first time I took Wil here he was about 3 and I thought his eyes would pop out of his head.  The rest of the 7-day trip thorugh Alberta and Saskatchewan, he kept telling everyone about The Big Egg.  Below is Bill getting some hang time off the side of The Big Egg; Wil was way more interested in chucking rocks in the pond with his siblings and climbing around on the caboose pictured above.

I love trains.  And train tracks.

More:


Comments

kate said…
I love that you released the helium balloons for her.

I have to honestly say, I have never, ever craved an egg salad sandwich.

I feel like I have seen that egg before. Have you photographed it before?
ticblog said…
Kate - the egg is famous. It's the World's Largest Pysanka. I've photographed it many times, as have millions of other people...
kate said…
Well then, I suppose it makes sense that I've seen it before.
Lynda said…
Loved all the photos, especially the egg salad sandwich, although I still think they're are the grossest, smelliest things to eat!

Oh, and the balloons are the BEST idea!

L
Oh, the Vegreville Pysanka...did you also manage to see the Mundare sasuage? If you haven't seen it before, please take a look and tell me what you think it looks like...After you've seen it once, there is no revisiting it. It will forever been burned in your mind.

I love your pictures. What a nice tribute that you all released baloons.
ticblog said…
Christine: we didn't stop in Mundare this trip, but of course, we have pictures with the giant coil of cat turd otherwise known as the Mundare sausage from other trips out that way, when a stop at the Sausague House is just too impossible to pass up! I found this website and I think we have a few other Big Alberta trips to make lol http://www.albertabigtour.ca/mundare's_sausage!.htm

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.