double-edged sword

I realized this afternoon that my sanity is hanging by a thread.  A very thin, weak thread.  

When it rains, it pours.  I've managed to queue up 7 clients for processing (amazing pictures and I'm SO excited to process them but I have priorities...), and I just received files for a rough 2/3rds portion of the bios and pictures needed for the NCF program (that was supposed to be proofed last week, and go to print today), and I have yet to sift through the Relay for Life pictures and arrange for prints because (of course it couldn't be that easy) I filled my hard drive to capacity and my computer said, back up and clean off some files or you're gettin' nowhere.  Tomorrow there's an interview with a new foster mom for my little sister (which I can't attend as I've already taken so much time off work), Wednesday Wil gets his cast replaced with (fingers crossed) a half-cast, and the services and burial for Gramma are on Friday which means family in town and a guaranteed 2 or 3 days loss in productivity.  And this second 'someone died' family reunion in less than two years is bitersweet in and of itself - it'll be nice to see everyone.  Except Gramma.  Because, well - she's dead... 

I haven't cried yet.  If I allowed myself to start now, I don't think I'd stop for days and days and days.

All this busy-ness is a double-edged sword.  Being so busy I can't stop has made it possible to not break down, to remain functional, to keep it together; the other edge of that sword is that I have not yet begun the mourning process.  I kind of walk around in a fog all day - I'm working, I'm productive to some degree, but completely unaware of progress, or lack of progress.  Reality creeps up on me throughout the day, distant fog lights threatening the comfort of the lacy darkness.  I avoid people - eye contact is dangerous and prying questions ar even worse because when they come I am hit with waves of sorrow; my eyes sting, and I choke back the turbulence of emotions that are churning along the ground like a powerful undercurrent waiting to suck me under so I can just.  keep.  moving.  

If either edge of that sword were to pierce my delicate swirling beautiful hazy fog, I'm not entirely sure what would happen.  For now I'm perfectly content to worry myself sick about deadlines, sick friends, and freeing up Gigabytes.  I'll have time to crash at the funeral... I hope...  and time to recover so I don't fall any further behind... I hope...

The good news for the day, the silver lining, is that my beloved Mrs. PQRS pulled through her surgery and is recovering nicely.  At least the good Lord knows he needs to give me a little lump of sugar in my bitters.

Comments

princessdenied said…
BIG hugs Hope... If there's anything we can do, let us know. I understand that hanging by a thread feeling.
Hope, with all my heart and with the utmost of good intentions, you are a dumbass! Kind of.

I know the urge to block out the grief and pain is strong and "easy" to do but the process has to start somewhere. The thought that you have to keep it together for everyone and everything else...Let's just say I've done the same thing.

Take your time to grieve and take your moments to break down as they come. It's cleansing, really.

Big hugs Hope.
Ang said…
I hope you can schedule the time to grieve soon.

Nice name - Mrs. PQRS
ticblog said…
Contrarily, it hasn't been easy to block out. It's taking every ounce of energy I can muster lol. Dumbass or not, I'm pacing myself - I need to keep it together as much for me as for anyone else. Getting fired or letting down the CCS would be self-defeating. There is a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and I have promised myself an entire week of unabashed self-pitying next week...
ticblog said…
Hey - scheduling time to grieve is a big step for me lol... under normal circumstances I'd whip out the stainless steel Wonderwoman bustier and try to convince everyone I'm fine, just fine...
ang said…
I might like to borrow that stainless steel wonderwoman bustier
ticblog said…
It's a crushing weight to carry around. I wouldn't ever curse a friend with that kind of burden. Hell - *I* don't even want that burden anymore.
ang said…
I was thinking more for the bedroom
ticblog said…
oh, my...
You are a tough woman on the outside but the Hope I know, has a super sensitive side and needs to cry... call me anytime. We have done this before :)

Always here for you :)
Tanya said…
((Hugs)) Make sure you give yourself that time to grieve. Happy healing to Mrs. PQRS
shutterbug said…
I want to come meet you for lunch, Hope. A baby like Logan can only lift your spirits, if only for a little while. Let me know when is good for you.

**hugs**
kate said…
Still thinking of you and your family. Worrying yourself sick doesn't do anyone any good, Hope... you know what you need to do.

...and I'm glad to be your little lump of sugar.
Catmoves said…
Hope, grief is mankind's alone and it must be served.
Let the healing begin.
Bless you.
I only meant that you have had a tendency to take on a self-imposed Wonderwoman/Superwoman persona and forget that (as much as I love and respect you) you are actually mortal and need to take care of yourself and your emotional well being.

I'm glad that you are trying to put your Bigger Picture (family, work, personal obligations) into perspective and you are "allowing" yourself some grieving time.

Just know that you have a mountain of friends who are willing to be shoulders for you to cry on.

P.S. I'm glad Mrs. PQRS came through surgery well...you needed that good news amoungst the bad.

Take care of yourself.
Lindsay said…
awwww Hope, I had no idea, I need to keep up, Is there anything I can do?? ((((hugs))))) call me if you want to chat or we could do coffee?:)

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.