into focus

It's not really surprising that life comes into crisp focus when reality is shattered by something like the death of a dear loved one, or worse, a loved one is facing imminent death. In my Gramma's case, it was expected, and considering her physical decline in the past several months, a relief - no one needs to live a life devoid of dignity - I assure you seeing my Gramma without her hair set, a coordinated outfit, and her teeth in, sitting by her window and filing her nails to perfection, would have been nothing shy of traumatic for her.

I went to a wedding reception tonight, for a little girl, the older of two sisters I spent a lot of time caring for, who were once the centre of my universe. When the Orange Fairy and I parted ways almost 2 decades ago, the mother of these two girls, Debbie, gave me he one thing I wanted from my Mamasan that she was unable to give me: trust. Debbie had faith in me, for whatever unknown reason, and gave me responsibility that I am sure without would have put me in a very different place than I am today. Every fibre in my being said I should be at home processing pictures and sorting photos from the Relay; I knew somehow that I actually needed to be at that reception. My girls are all grown up and beautiful and I'm so happy I was able to see them.


I got home just a few minutes ago, to find in my inbox an email from another dear friend, Mrs. PQRS, who has I am sure at least 99 lives. Despite being accustomed to her having near-death experiences (she's one of the reasons I relay) it never stops scaring the ever-loving snot out of me when her health takes a turn for the worse - I am always chastising her about her 'hospital holidays' but in truth I am terrified for her, and her husband, and their 9 children (6 are hers and 3 are her husband's.) She's on the waitlist for a second heart transplant and is slated to go in for surgery for a pacemaker to tide her over until (not if - until) a donor becomes available. Of course, wishing for a new heart is a morbid thought as it means one must ultimately hope for the untimely death of a suitable donor.

I've been making efforts for several months to find balance in my life. As it stands, I am far too busy to be available to my friends and family. This is changing, slowly but surely, and I am beginning to see with crystal clarity the need for a better means of prioritizing my life, and putting family and friends above the busy-ness I always manage to create for myself. I prayed last week, and asked others to pray, for the painless and safe delivery of my Grandmother to the arms of her Maker; for the next several days I will be spending my time praying for my friend's recovery from surgery, and that God somehow sees fit to find a donor for her. Please feel free to add Mrs. PQRS to your prayer list.

Comments

kate said…
I'm glad you went to the reception and I'm still looking forward to seeing those relay photos. You're the best, Hope.

xo
Allyson said…
Hope, sending prayers out for your Grandmother and your friend and you. No words can adequately express, or for that matter, know what a difficult time this is for those who stand by so helplessly.

Perhaps your dear friend would be a candidate for the new "exterior" temporary for want of a better word "heart pump" procedure they are doing at St. Paul's in Vancouver. They just had a piece on TV this week past on it and the patients that they interviewed both said they wouldn't be alive if it weren't for it. They too are awaiting heart transplants.

Sending out a long hug to you. xxx
Allyson said…
Hope, I feel like a dolt. I'm sorry about your losing your Grandmother. I just read down your blog and it was then I realized that she has passed away. I know it was a blessing, but at the same time so very sad. May God comfort all who mourn. xxxx Allyson
ticblog said…
No worries, Allyson - things move at the speed of life... I'm glad you took a minute to stop by. Kiss Cathy and her 6 for me when you have a chance. (Mrs. PQRS has 4 girls and 2 boys...)
kate said…
Thank you for your prayers. Our goal for the weekend was to go to the cottage and get away from reality for a couple days, and we succeeded. It always amazes me how your troubles seem to find a way to follow you when you run, though. Life is funny that way.

We're continuing (more now than ever) to trust God and His plan.
Hope, I think about your dear friend all the time and thank you for sharing her life with me . She is beautiful and her family is beautiful. ... and you are a beautiful friend to her. You are both blessed to have each other, now and forever.
Becks said…
Hope,
Isn't it funny how sometimes life throws things at us that make us do a 360 and put things into perspective?
I will include your friend in my meditation and postive thoughts.
hugs,
Rebecca

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.