clickin' it into high gear

We've officially added a web page to the ticdesign site for our Team Clickin' Cancer's Butt photographer group. Please check it out!


I asked everyone else on the team to write a post about about how cancer has affected their lives, and so it's only fair I share why I am involved with the Relay for Life.


Cancer was always something over there. It happened to other people and other people's familes, to people I didn't really know. I always felt safely removed from it. Until the year my dear friend Stacie's sister Lori was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer that took her life within weeks. I've never been one to dole out flowers that are going to die anyways, and suggested that our circle of friends instead put the money we'd spend on flowers towards the Canadian Cancer Society in Lori's name. One of our other friends Noelle went poking about on the site and brought back the suggestion we sign up for the Relay for Life and walk in Lori's name, and shortly thereafter Team Mommas and Poppas were born. That was three years ago.


What astonished me more than anything was that when we started talking to people, recruiting team members, and raising pledges, EVERYONE had been somehow touched by cancer - a grandfather, a friend, an uncle, a co-worker, a husband, a child... Through talking to my Daddy about it, I found out I have a cousin who lost a leg to cancer, which was why he had shaved his head for cancer every year for as long as I can remember. When my Daddy died in August of 2006 I vowed to keep supporting the CCS on both our behalf; little did we know that just 6 short months later his eldest sister Florence would be taken by cancer, too. I honestly wish I didn't have so many reasons to support the Relay.


Well, I'm not brave enough to shave my head but the Relay I can handle. This year is extra special for me as a group of us have been entrusted with the honour of doing the official survivor and team photographs. This is the first year for the CCS having this sort of thing, and I couldn't be more humbled or excited to take this on with some fantastic and dedicated friends and fellow shutterbugs by my side.


Cancer doesn't discriminate between age, race, gender, religion, or income. It can come in and disable a family not just physically, financially, and emotionally. From medical to living expenses, the costs of treating cancer are staggering, with no guarantee of a cure. It is only through continued research that better treatments and hopefully someday a cure for cancer will come to be. I encourage you to visit the CCS Relay for Life site and pledge someone, join an existing team, or purchase a luminary. Together, we can make cancer history.

I encourage you to share your story in the comments.


P.S. If you purchase a luminary, please email the name of the recipient of the luminary to h dot walls at shaw do ca and we'll go hunt them down on site and take a picture of it for you.

Comments

ticblog said…
I had to steal Amanda's:

I have actively participated in the Relay for Life numerous times in Fort McMurray. I have always found the survivor lap to be an amazing and victorious moment. Watching everyone that has fought and beat the illness which has deceased so many. Of the entire event the part that has always tugged at my heart and moved me to tears is the lighting of the luminaries. It gives me chills and really makes me stop and realize how many have lost loved ones from cancer. My Grandfather was very ill with prostate cancer a few years ago but managed to succeed and every year since both of my grandparents participate in the Relay For Life in Newfoundland. The day I opened my email and saw the pictures of my Grandfather doing the victory lap I felt such pride and happiness that he, just like all those I had seen before, got his chance at victory. I have always feared cancer, feared it's ability to sneak up on people, feared it's ability to quickly ruin lives. Last weekend I found out a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks ago. He is 30 years old and has a tumor in his chest and was rushed into chemo immediately. It is scary and can change lives that quick. It makes me happy to read about other people sharing the same passion to help fight this devastating illness. H did an amazing job on her website for the event and I no doubt appreciate every bit of effort she and everyone else put into raising awareness and funds to ensure that I am able to keep my Grandfather and my close friend for quite a few years more.
Tanya said…
Yeah team clicken cancer!
kate said…
Feeling honored to have my luminary on your Clickin' Cancer page...

Let's catch up soon.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.