now I lay me down to sleep


I am blessed to have given birth to 3 beautiful healthy children, who came into this world kicking and screaming for more.  I've watched each of them them grow fatter, taller, stronger, brighter.  I.  Am.  Blessed.

Unfortunately, there are parents who never hear that first cry or gurgle or coo much less see them smile or take their first steps.  They will never see their child off to kindergarten or hear them say, "Mommy, Daddy..." Often, parents have few photographic memories of their child's brief life - taking pictures is the last thing on their mind.  Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep is a registered not-for-profit Colorado-based organization that connects photographers willing to provide free bereavement services with parents of infants who are or will be stillborn, or will pass on in the first few days, hours, or minutes of life.

I found Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (nilmdts) via Jillian Kirby, an amazing BC photographer I met here in blogland.  When my father passed away I found peace through photographing the process, one I was too raw and numb to participate in.  At the time, there was a part of me that thought it was morbid and I imagine some of my family and friends found it equally morbid.  However, looking back at those pictures now, they are both powerful and peaceful.  I am both honoured and humbled to have been accepted into the circle of photographers who provide this service to families in need.

Please consider donating to them by visiting their website at www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org or help spread news of the availability of this organization's services for grieving parents by passing this link on.  If you work in a hospital and you are not yet aware of this organization, I encourage you to visit the website and ask how to become an affiliated hospital.

~H.

Comments

Cathy said…
I am thankful that there are photographers out there helping families that are in need of such an important set of photographs.

I too look at my six children and feel extremely blessed. I am thankful for that today! Thanks for the reminder too.

Congrats H!
Jillian Kirby said…
I am so glad that this is becoming more and more exposed because I really do feel that it is an important organization and the little babies need to have their little, however short, lives validated in some way.

Now let's cross our fingers that we're never needed.
Take care of your babes!
Jillian
I would be interested in this if there is a need in the Edmonton area, Hope.

Taking photos of the funeral for Cole's mother was as important me as it was for her......

Will you be doing this as well ?
alphonsedamoose said…
What a great idea. I don't think it is morbid or weird at all. It is something people will have to cherish forever.
Kate said…
Despite Jack's disapproval, I contacted a photographer from our church when we learned that Anna would be leaving us soon. The photographs are priceless and captured Anna so peacefully. Looking back at one particular photo of Anna in my arms, I can feel her warmth and tenderness. What a blessing.
Carol Kerfoot said…
The first time I saw this site I cried and cried and had a really difficult time trying to digest it all. What you are doing by honoring them is beautiful. I don't think I would have the ability to hold it all together.
kate said…
P.S... I am really enjoying your blog. thanks :)

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.