mein seestor speaks on the topic of John Acorn

He mailed the autographed lyrics of the following to me in 1997 or 98 after I met him when he was a banquet speaker for the Prairie University Biological Seminar annual conference that was held at the U of Alberta that year.

(melody was twangy country folk-esque. You could two-step to it - with enough beers in your belly. Lyrics are typed verbatim)

Love is a Creeping Mahonia

I could be your Tall Lungwort baby
And you could be my faithful Blue-eyed Grass
Love is Pearly Everlasting, a Creeping Mahonia
The plain and Yellow Toadflax says that we were meant to last

Our love is like a warm Wooly Fleabane
But you don't be a False Asphodel
Just use your Common Skullcap, don't Henbane or Pucoon
I'm tired of playing Hound's Tongue, howling at the moon

Chorus

The Strawberry Blight is a Viper's Bugloss
So Touch-Me-Not you Stinkweed Bladder-pod
I can't stand the Agrimony, it makes me want to Milk Vetch
Like Nodding Beggar's Ticks I turn my head down to the sod

Maybe I'm a Heart-leaved Alexander
There's no Contorted Lousewort left in me,
Oh please Flixweed, I'm crying in my Ragwort
I'll bounce back like a Stemless Rubberweed

Chorus

So when love gives you the Clammy Hedge Hyssops
An Earlly Yellow Loco Weed you'll be
False Gromwells might be Yucca, but with you I'll soon be stuck-a
I'm jolted by Skunk Currant when you are next to me

Chorus


[Signed: To Danna, Botanophilically, John A]

I have it framed. I'm not really a packrat -- all my "sentimental stuff" fits in two plastic crates. However, this is one of the items I move with me faithfully. It's pretty darn special to a dork like me. My favourite line is "I can't stand the Agrimony, it makes me want to Milk Vetch". Every time I see vetch in the field I think of that stupid line and I smirk. By the way I've seen most of the species mentioned :) It's okay if I accumulated a few more dork points just now.

Comments

~Laura said…
You totally get more points. That was like a tongue twister for me, and I read slower than a grade two would. I imagine it's heartwarming poetry to you two though. :)
alphonsedamoose said…
Did he really say stink-weed bladder pod? LOL
ticblog said…
Yes, Alphonse... yes he did... lol. Aren't geeks fun?

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.