a musing: piano scales


Babzy's critiques of my pictures brought up an interesting train of thought for me, one I've kind of been having for a couple of days already, but it's in pretty clear focus now, pun entirely intended... ~snicker snicker~

What I've found the most interesting is people's reactions to the technical approach I have taken this week. Yes, it's dull - I'll be the first to admit it. My clients, friends, and family are saying weird things to me about it, like, "Oh - that's nice dear..." and, "Oh, that's different...." in that kind of pseudo-patronizing way that indicates they aren't quite sure what the hell I am doing but feel obliged to say something pseudo-supportive. My husband is simply "very surprised" with the work I've been churning out this week. (read: he doesn't understand what the hell I am doing)

My sabbatical - it's an exercise, of course, not unlike doing piano scales. Start at the beginning, practice makes perfect and all that jazz. This is a deconstruction of the things I take for granted, that I've gotten out of practice with, in order to heighten my awareness of these elements so that when I am shooting on the fly it's second nature to notice the lacy pattern of shadows cast by the leaves or the way there's light dancing on the water or birds silhouetted against the horizon that I may overlook until I am pleasantly surprised by them after the fact.

For the most part, though, because I am experimenting on a technical level, for me it lacks spontaneity, emotion, fluidity, personal touch, and spark, the kind of qualities that I am usually complimented on. Putting this much forethought into what I shoot has really run me through the wringer. This week has frankly been a real stretch for me, going about methodically looking for the "money" shots. ~snore~ I'm usually a 'shoot from the hip' kinda gal. My brain aches, and I have a totally new level of respect for people like the immensely patient and hugely talented Becky (link on the right) who manages to take stunning pictures of the very things that I struggle to photograph with any kind of flare or style. She truly amazes me, and I can't even hope to duplicate her skill or eye with my silly little exercises. She seriously kicks my lily-white butt in this department.

Some of the playing has been decidedly amusing and definitely broadening, while other bits incredibly monotonous and uninspiring - in short, a real return to the 'basics' for me. I've always known that the technical aspects of photography, though I am fairly well versed in them, really bore me. But of course, mastery of the technical aspects allow for greater latitude when the time comes to break or even better rewrite the rules. It's like practicing scales on a piano - something you gotta know before you can compose a symphony, even if you have to figure it out by ear.

Although Babzy & I won't always see eye to eye on the same things, it's apparent we have similar taste in photographic qualities. I find a lot of the work I've been doing this week challenging, with the results less than spectacular. I like bold images, both to look at and create, with super white whites and pitch-black blacks. Mind you (and here's where it gets especially interesting for me) I have also realized that I tend get into a black and white rut both as a person and a photographer, so exploring the many shades of grey has forced me to become conscious of the more subtle nuances I'm usually blind to, thereby encouraging growth for me both as a photographer and a person. Even if I don't manage to get my sparkler pictures done before I switch to composition studies next week, this realization alone has made the week a success. The rest is all gravy.

Huzzah for me!

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.