waxen buddha

I'd like to introduce you to a couple of my friends. You've met sweet dolly; Garden Gnome is busy right now, but here is my friend the waxen Buddha, also known as the juju shakin' Buddha.
He was reclaimed from atop a parking meter on New Year's Day 2002 on the way back to my friend Tannis's place from the best Pad Thai I've ever eaten. In Toronto, on moving days, people leave what they don't want to take with them sitting in alleys and if you want something, you just take it. Someone had discarded him between the time I plugged the meter and the time we left the restaurant. Finding him was serendipitous, as my ex-husband had taken the concrete Buddha we had gotten as a wedding gift, and I needed one of my own.

Mysterious things seem to happen after touching this particular Buddha, and so we handle him with care. For many, opting to rub his belly is opting to have one's entire life turned upsidedown, and whether that's for the better or the worse is entirely open to interpretation. People who don't believe in serendipity ought not bother, though - it's harder to change your perspective than to change your mind.

Then again, it may all be superstitious nonsense.

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.