Aydin

So I missed the first client appointment EVER a couple of weekends ago. I keep all my appointments in a digital calendar, replete with binging pop-ups to let me know a couple of days in advance and a snooze button to let me know about it the day before and the day of, if need be. However, with February and March having the same dates, in what must have been a moment of stupidity ( or perhaps a drunken stupor) I managed to plug the appointment in for February.

But that's OK. After some grovelling on my part, Aydin's Mom was nice enough to forgive me and invite me back, same time, one week later, to get after the task at hand. That being, taking some 1-year photos of Aydin.

When I first got there, Aydin wasn't quite sure what to make of me. I laid out my instruments of torture, and he wasn't the least bit interested. Mostly, he wanted to use my backdrop extensions as a battering ram.

As the session wore on, Aydin certainly warmed up. I particularly enjoyed the pictures I got of him, looking at a picture of himself on the shelf. ~smirk~ So he was loving his ducks, the camera remote cable, and the bunny ears more than anything, and things went swimmingly. Then right at the end, though, I had one of those 'guinea pig' moments, where an idea pops into my head and I have a burning desire to try it out on a live subject.

"Do you guys have a tube?"

"A what?"

"A tube! Like a tunnel?!"

"Uh... yeah..."

Mom trots off to the bedroom and returns with a spanky pale aqua Ikea tube. In goes Aydin, and I'm off like a rocket! So I admit, I've taken pictures of kids in tubes before. We got ours on sale at Superstore for $15. It's a cheap red thing made from some weird synthetic fibre that looks like the stuff you'd find hiding the fibreglass stuffing on the underside of a brown plaid hide-a-bed from the 70's. It connects to a blue and yellow pop-up tent that requires a degree in origami to put back in the little circular carrying case. Because it's so dark and gloomy, I always had to use a really harsh flash and the tubular effect, though present, was always diminished by the harsh lighting.

The Ikea tube (made of some smooth soft fibre I could see me wearing a jacket made from) lets in tonnes of lovely filtered natural light, is twice as long, and made for my favourite pictures of the session! Aydin was my willing muse, and I think his parents were happy with the results. Next time I'm near Ikea, I gotta get me one of these things!

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.