togetherLOVE: chicks who click

I had the pleasure of spending an entire weekend brainstorming, sharing, reminiscing, and shooting with a group of 7 women (it was supposed to be 10 but 3 couldn't make it... congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful boy Amanda, and Rebecca & Laura - you were sorely missed. Talitha was supposed to come, too!) We stayed at the exquisite Mulhust Bay Chalet, which is positively THEE perfect place to stay if you're ever looking for the comforts of home with the luxury of beautiful architecture and clever design and convenience just minutes from beautiful Pigeon Lake (and only an hour from Edmonton.) In an industry that can often be superficial and cut-throat, riddled with backstabbing, client-thieving, ladder-climbing, and name-dropping, it is incredible to have a circle of fellow shooters who are as wonderful as these ladies. Lovely laughs, fantastic food, shimmery drinks, and treasured friends - the perfect way to wind down from a busy shooting season.

EDITED TO ADD: There was one other individual who was invited but through an apparent miscommunication didn't get included on the roster. My beloved friend Tasha of Fresh! was somehow missed, and if I had the opportunity to shoot her holding a piece of paper, the word I would have for her is "strength" - she is not only a dedicated wife, talented photographer, and incredible Mom to 4 amazing and beautiful children but she has conquered about a gazillion and two hurdles over the past 2 years that prove she defines tenacity, fortitude, and commitment. Tasha - it isn't that you were missed - you ARE missed. I'm SOOOO sorry you weren't here, too!!!

We went on a "photo scavenger hunt" and let each other know what we REALLY think of each other while taking pictures... but it would be too hard to explain it all. Good thing a picture is worth a thousand words (though there are words, too, if you go to the Picasa album...) Lisa, Christine, Amy, Amber, Lariena, and Heather - THANK YOU. I love you all! Here is my take on our lovely weekend:








Christine. You are my soul sister. I don't think I have more words. You're talent, heart, resolve, integrity, and humour often leave me speechless, and that says something. If I had to pick a second word, it would be, "Thank you." That says it all. And it still doesn't scratch the surface.


Lisa: Your talent and dedication are self-evident, but I crumpled up the paper that said, "Complex and Dynamic Onion." What amazed me this weekend, was how much you amazed me. Your gentleness, your broad knowledge and experience, your witty humour, and your understated way of being larger than life were unveiled.


Amber: Amber's Mom (who perhaps ironically shares my name) could not have chosen a better name for her. She is a true gem - not a flashy or ornate one, but the kind that is treasured and sought for it's inherent warmth, beauty, and glow, its soothing properties, and the way it often houses other treasures. (I'll tell you about the piece of amber I have in my purse 24-7 some other time...)


Lariena: There is nothing pretentious about Lariena. What you see and hear is what you get, always from a place of truth within her heart and unparalleled integrity. She puts her entire being - heart, soul, and spirit - into her life with dignity and grace. Lariena is that favourite book you can read 982 times and it never gets old or boring.


Amy: Another word for Amy would be 'infectious.' Her laughter, her sense of playfulness, and her genuine interest in enjoying her (and helping other people enjoy their) life all day, every day, is better than copious amounts of rich tasty coffee, a deep tissue massage, bungee jumping, a family-sized Toblerone, and a high colonic combined.


Heather: When I launched my website in January of 2009, I wanted to redefine what it was about photography that drives me, and in a word it was 'LOVE.' Heather embodies in her personal and professional life precisely what I feel when I'm out shooting: massive amounts of love for life, photography, and basically all of humanity.

(...more...)


EDITED TO ADD: I figured I ought to include the others that were absent for various reasons.

Amanda: Unwavering. Everything about Amanda is gentle, which should never be confused with weak. Amanda is like a tall oak tree, firmly rooted in her own family and beliefs and strong enough to have (now) 2 boys swinging off her arms, yet possessed of soft, sweeping, and arresting beauty.

Rebecca: Potent & deserving. Rebecca is one of the most underestimated human beings I know, especially by herself. She's the kind of person whose ego could use a boob job to inflate it. There is no shortage of fortitude, dedication, humility, or vision in this woman and she simply is, potent, and deserving of more respect, awe, and admiration than I can muster in simple words.

Talitha: Reckoning. You know when you meet someone and they immediately strike you as the kind of together person who you know is a force to be reckoned with? They have poise and confidence yet ooze the kind of modesty that makes them totally approachable? THAT is Talitha. I am honoured to have met her, and think she should move to Edmonton.

Laura: Oh, my Laura. There isn't a single word. Laura is indescribable. I like being drunk on Laura. Laura's beauty, her sophistication, her loyalty, her depth and breadth and strength of character, her perspective, her kindness, and her love. I think my word for her would have to be, "Intoxicating." And she's totally worth the hangover. A million and twelve hangovers times infinity squared.

When the list was put together for this retreat, while I wanted to invite everyone, the short-list was restricted to the people who are a) actively shooting professionally and b) who attended several workshops and/or events during the first year of the DLS series and were therefore instrumental in the development, refinement, and expansion of the Workshops.

As Tammy of Smiley Eyes never attended any of the workshops, she was not short-listed, BUT I think she deserves mention here, because she was there for the first year in spirit if not in body.

Tammy: Tenacious. If you present Tammy with a challenge, she's not only going to accept, but she's going to mop the floor with you. She is no-holds barred, full-on commitment, and unapologetically embraces life to the fullest at every opportunity. She is willing and able at any time to raise the bar and push herself harder than anyone I know, yet manages to do it with the smile that earned her the nickname, "Smiley."

Reanna of Blackbird photography was also not short-listed because she joined very late in the series. Again, I think I would be remiss if I did not mention her here, too.

Reanna: Inventive and thoughtful. Reanna is the person who, just when you thought she'd done it all, comes up with something new, curious, and interesting. While she appears fearless in her approach, she is meticulous, thoughtful and thorough about the details, which mirrors her personal life, too.

And last, but of course not least, are some friends from afar who again, while not an active part of the DLS series, were in the wings during that first year and deserve mention.

Carol: Exquisite. A sweet, dedicated parent, Carol picked up a camera and without meaning to, became exquisite. She sees beauty in the details that compose life, and exposes them with the sweet, beloved, homey warmth of a wife, mother, and woman. Her work and her heart are exquisite.

Cathy: Blond Ambition. If there is a Madonna of the Photography world, Cathy is it. She's got her eyes on the prize and there's no stopping her. Once Cathy has set her mind to something, there is no derailing her. Cathy is driven in all that she does, several times over, from her marathon runs to her parenting SIX children to her photography...

Comments

Creations said…
looks like you guys had a great time - very cool idea for a retreat!! Sorry I missed out.
I am always blown away by your work Hope. You are a true artist. Thanks so much for sharing your gift :) Love you.
Hope Walls said…
I'm sorry you missed out too, Trina - we did talk about plans for a bigger better version for next time... it's going to be AWESOME!!!
Deanna said…
Looks like everyone had a blast. Maybe one day!
PixelPie said…
I 'love' being called an Old-Timer >sarcasm<

It was a wonderful getaway and I can't wait until the next one. Thank you so much for the relaxation and the memories! 'Love' you too!
Rebecca McKay said…
Ohhhhhh....amazing pictures. They are worth a 1000 words, I can see it was a brillant weekend. I am so sad I missed it. I'm in for sure on the next one though....will it be next month? lol!
Carol Kerfoot said…
there is a beautiful bed and breakfast in historic murrayville just a few blocks from my home....

make it your next stop

:)
Tasha said…
was i missed? :(
Hope Walls said…
You never replied to the email, T!
lilredamber said…
Must share that with my mom :) Thank you sooo much Hope!!! You created such and incredible memory for us all who attended that weekend and what a wonderful hostess you are!! You have no idea how flattered I am when you complement my work because when I look at yours I am blown away by your talent! xoxo

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.