ramblingLOVE: Stacey & Kyle get hitched in Jamaica

It was an exhausting week, to say the least, filled with new friends, crazy antics, and enough love to spin the world on its axis double-time.  And besides learning a bit about Jamaican history and culture, I learned a few things about myself.  Predominantly, being surrounded by so much love and friendship was a double-edged sword: for as much as it was beautiful being in the midst of a large and very close-knit group of people, it had the adverse effect of making me miss my family and friends more than I thought I would.  I had initially thought I would make use of my time alone and be very productive (which to a degree was true) but really spent more time watching the newlyweds so obviously in love with each other and pining for my husband, or seeing other families vacationing together and wishing my own children could be there to enjoy the fun.  By the end of the week, more than anything I was starved for physical affection - a hug, a touch, a hand to hold, a kiss goodnight, a head on my lap...

On the up side, I'm not experiencing the same sense of alienation I did after returning from the Dominican Republic.  I'm not sure if this is because I didn't experience the same degree of cultural submersion (there was no Jose to say farewell to and no village to adopt me) or because the shock of going to RD prepared me for visiting a developing country (maybe once you've seen one corrugated metal and rotting wood shanty town you've seen them all?) but whatever the case may be, I enjoyed my time there and met some wonderful people (Dain the sweet bellhop and Murphy the driver stand out the most) but I don't feel like I left a piece of my soul behind.  I'm relieved, to tell the truth - I don't think I could realistically handle having my heart torn between three countries and three cultures.

I'll post more pictures soon (there are, of course, about a bazillion) but since the bride and groom aren't back for another week and I'm forbidden to post too many before they get back, I'll leave you with this:

People often ask me if there's any way I can tell while I'm photographing a wedding if the couple is going to "make it."  Perhaps it's a morbid thing to think of, but yes, there are weddings where I feel like the couple is facing a long hard road ahead of them and I pray they are able to see it through.  Stacey and Kyle are not one of those couples.  Beyond Kyle's quiet admiration and Stacey's guerilla-style kissing attacks that echo the freshness of any new love, there's a completely seamless integration of the rhythm of their spirits that extends well beyond the excitement of being newlyweds.  Like two tall ancient trees in the rainforest, they sway to and from and around each other, roots are deep and strong and clearly separate, but grown and woven together in such a manner that they stand as one, resilient to twice the storms that may come, capable of providing twice the strength and shelter to those close to them, and able to absorb twice the glorious sunshine.



A hearty hello to all my new friends, and an even heartier cheers to the newlyweds.  More to come next week!!!

Comments

Deanna said…
Congrats to the couple!!

Can't wait to see the rest!! Welcome home!
kate said…
Great photos.

welcome home :)
Rebecca McKay said…
Love the underwater ones! One of the first official kisses image is awesome!

Looking forward to the rest.
:)
Laura Jane said…
Beautiful photo's! Definite teasers! And Hope, you are beautiful too... what a sweet message, sounds almost like a vow!
Awesome !!!!! Looking forward to your finished product :)
You have such a way with words. Beautiful words, beautiful photos. Looking forward to seeing more! Very cool underwater photos...my underwater casing finally came in and I can't wait to use it!

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.