can of worms: ripping open an old wound?

So the latest twizz on twitter (and elsewhere on the web) is the link to a petition from the Special Olympics to stop using the 'r' word: retarded.  Everyone from John Mayer to Joe Blow is spreading this link like a bad computer virus and I guess I'm kind of torn on how I feel about bringing it to the forefront again.  I mean, haven't we already done this?

According to the Merriam Webster online dictionary, the word is derived from the Latin verb 'to slow' and the word 'retard' currently is defined as thus:

verb
1 : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment : impede
2 : to delay academic progress by failure to promote

The dictionary gets re-written all the time - new words are added, old words die out of common usage, and other words gain new meaning.  (Who knew what a blog was 15 years ago?) So, at some point people started (correctly, in the strict sense of the word) using the term 'retarded' then 'a retard' to describe persons with a mental handicap, and the dictionary was re-written to include it as a noun in the late 1700s but today defines the word (pay careful attention to the fact that they've included a note that it's often offensive) as:

noun
1 \ri-ˈtärd\ : a holding back or slowing down : retardation
2 \ˈrē-ˌtärd\ often offensive : a retarded person ; also : a person held to resemble a retarded person in behavior

Interesting, hey?  I'm going to try and dig out a dictionary from the 50s and see what it defines 'retard' as - bets it doesn't have the 'offensive' disclaimer?  Anyways.  By the 80s when someone called you retarded, they were referring to you resembling a handicapped person, a person with failing mental faculties due to biological circumstances, and it was insulting to both the person being called a retard and the people then commonly known as actual retards.  But through the late-80s and 90s, the political correctness police designed a whole new vocabulary to define "retards" - developmentally disabled, special needs, delayed, different-abled, etc. and by the time we partied 'cuz it WAS 1999, people hitting their chest and saying, "Gretzky," had pretty much lost its meaning, right along with the word 'retard' being associated with people like my sister, who is a microcephele and at the age of 30 has the hormone state of a 13-year old, the mental capacity of a 6- or 8-year old, and the speech skills of a 2-year old.

Growing up with a handicapped sister I, of course, took huge offense to people using the word 'retard' in a derogatory way.  Now, however, I don't, because the political correctness people managed to successfully rename the disability and disassociate the word from innocent people, and I don't believe most people believe that when they use the word it is in direct reference to a mentally handicapped person.  At one time I saw a person with developmental disabilities and said, oh, look, a retarded person.  Now I say, oh, look, someone with a mental delay.  And I freely admit that when I see someone driving while talking on the cell-phone, drinking a coffee, and trying to light their smoke, I think, oh, look, a retard - and certainly not because I think my baby sister would ever be classified in the same category.

So I'm curious why the Special Olympics, of all organizations, would launch a campaign re-associating mental handicaps with the word unless they are planning on 'owning' it like black-negro-coloured-brown-African-American people have taken over and redefined 'nigger' for themselves (?)  Seriously.  What the hell are they thinking?  After all those years I spent working and volunteering for various organizations (including recreational/rehabilitation summer camps, fundraising companies, and perhaps ironically as a coach for the Special Olympics) and campaigning against associating mentally handicapped people being called 'retarded' I don't really get why this issue needs to resurface at all.  Let it die already like poplollies and bellibones.  In fact, I was a little disappointed that Merriam Webster hasn't updated the etymology to include the word as having lost its meaning in reference to handicapped folks, and redefined it to read something like:

noun
1: a person who makes really bad decisions because they choose to ignore every ounce of common sense in their head; "That person driving, drinking coffee, texting, and lighting a smoke is a retard."
verb
2: something irritating to a person because it has failed to meet their expectations; "My food is cold and the service is terrible - this restaurant is retarded."

I think I'm going to choose to boycott this negative reinforcement and jump on the "time to re-write the dictionary" bandwagon when and if it comes along.  I was going to post the link, but what if it's just a portal to that nasty computer virus everyone's afraid of, and they're going to laugh at us all afterwards and call us retarded?

Comments

Allyson said…
I am each and every time offended when anyone uses the "r" word. I always cringe when I hear that word used south of our borders. What gives? I'm with you,rewrite the dictonary Hope!
Hope Walls said…
I'm only offended now when someone uses the word 'retard' to describe a handicapped person. When the word retard was reserved for a handicapped person and was used to describe a non-handicapped person it was an insult to a handicap person - it was like taking their name in vain. But now, when it's used to describe virtually anything BUT a handicapped person I don't even flinch. Retarded store, retarded insurance company, retarded car door, retarded texting-smoking-coffee-drinking-driver, doesn't bug me at all. Which is really strange - I have this very distinct memory of standing on the schoolground in the rain, crying and yelling at someone for calling someone else a retard because it was an insult to my sister to be associated with the idiots on the schoolyard. Considering the complete (voluntary) idiots and irritating things the word is used to describe nowadays, I think if anyone called my sister a retard today I'd hit the roof.
Hope Walls said…
I'm only offended now when someone uses the word 'retard' to describe a handicapped person. When the word retard was reserved for a handicapped person and was used to describe a non-handicapped person it was an insult to a handicap person - it was like taking their name in vain. But now, when it's used to describe virtually anything BUT a handicapped person I don't even flinch. Retarded store, retarded insurance company, retarded car door, retarded texting-smoking-coffee-drinking-driver, doesn't bug me at all. Which is really strange - I have this very distinct memory of standing on the schoolground in the rain, crying and yelling at someone for calling someone else a retard because it was an insult to my sister to be associated with the idiots on the schoolyard. Considering the complete (voluntary) idiots and irritating things the word is used to describe nowadays, I think if anyone called my sister a retard today I'd hit the roof.
Tanya said…
Hmm I am not sure how I feel about this. I do agree with you that the word has taken on new meaning and that is why it is so insulting to mentally challenged people. I guess to these days people are that much more educated about disabilities not totally I know theres a long way to go but now perhaps instead of saying the person is retarded we might think oh they have down's syndrome.

Totally unrelated but I was watching "retarded policeman" on youtube. There has been huge backlash about these webisodes and it exploiting the star. But I kind of thought well wait a minute what if this is something he actually wants to do, does he no deserve the right to choose. Are we getting to politically correct? It really has me thinking.
Princesstefer said…
Hope, you've expressed my opinions on the word, it's meaning and people's reactions to it **perfectly**.
Anonymous said…
but hope, those things you are describing ARE NOT RETARDED. my daughter actually is. diagnosed. as retarded. it isnt just mentally delayed. thats just a pretty word for the reality.

calling stores, insurancy companies, car doors retarded is what makes me flinch.

tara whitney
Hope Walls said…
OK, so an engine whose breaks have been retarded, are not retarded? I'm checking into a few different places (Australia, England) because maybe it's a cultural thing and Canadians have done away with the word 'retard' being associated with developmentally disabled persons. If someone called my sister "a retard" I'd sock 'em, because for me the word retard is akin to calling someone an idiot, a jackass, a dimwit - not a person with a medical diagnosis.

And you have to agree that it is one thing to describe someone as being mentally retarded, and something entirely different calling them a retard. I guess for me it's like that whole thing where you can love someone despite their attributes, as opposed the the person being the embodiment of that characteristic. "Your behaviour is bad," as opposed to, "You are bad." Maybe it's splitting hairs but I really thing the word retard should be redefined, or at the very least, reverted to its original definition which is an active verb which means to slow something or someone down, not a biological process. I did some dictionary research which I'm very excited to share. It would appear that the word retardation wasn't applied to people until sometime between 1907 and 1952. And I was right - retard was a verb until recent history, and Meriam Webster has indeed changed its dictionary to include it, and add the disclaimer, since as recently as 1966.

I'm not going to start raising awareness against the word retard - it's as backwards as thinking women should give back the vote.
Anonymous said…
It never lost its original definition. You can retard an engine, a piece of music, a heartrate, or a learning speed.

It's a verb,even in recent history.

If I call a female dog a bitch, am I swearing? OR does context matter?

I vote context.
Hope Walls said…
It hasn't lost its original definition, but since the 2009 American dictionary definition actually cites its current context when referring to humans beings as offensive, it's time to move on.

For me, the jury is still out on whether or not there are cultural differences with the broader context of the term itself. As literal definitions and both local and national slang or colloquial use of a word becomes muddled and subsequently redefined, this becomes a HUGE part of context. I recently found out that a guy "pulling" in England doesn't mean the same thing as a guy "pulling" in Canada. There it means going to find a girl, here it implies masturbation - so context becomes very important, as does the location which the context is applied. So if an Englishman came to Canada and told everyone he was going to the bar to "pull" I imagine there would be as many eyebrows raised as there would be if someone came here and started talking about my retarded sister.

Ergo, I vote using 'retard' in context with my sister or any other person with mental disability, cognitive delay, or developmental handicap is a damn shame. In fact, it kind of makes my stomach turn.

Ain't semantics great?
Hope Walls said…
OMG - imagine someone in England inviting a Canadian to go to the bar pulling together HAHAHAHA!!! oh my... oh my my my.... lol
Jordan said…
Hey you learned that from my facebook, and I from the UK Cosmo :)
Hope Walls said…
Correct, Jordan! Thank you for letting me know who it was - I couldn't remember who to credit with that tidbit! lol

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.