I need to buy a flash, but which one?

Andrea asks:  I have a Nikon D40X camera and was considering the Nikon SB-600 flash. They also offer the SB-800 but I don’t know enough about them to know which one to get. I wanted to have it for the workshops. Also, am I better off to get the Nikon flash or is there an alternate brand that is just as sufficient?

Excellent question, Andrea.  For what it's worth, the hot-shoe on top of your camera is universal, meaning you should be able to plop just about any flash you find on there and it will work to some degree.  

In this day and age of digital technology, however, there are a few things to consider when buying a flash.  First and foremost, you need to make sure that whatever flash you purchase will actually work with the model of camera you own.  The nice thing about buying the same brand flash as your camera model is that of course there are no conflicts that way.  However, the down side is often the price - a name-brand flash will set you back a pretty penny, especially the funky ones that have maximum functionality and features.  

Here are the top three technical value (and cost) adding things you might find while shopping for a flash: 

#1.) Swivel.  I hate using a flash at the best of times, and using a flash that's pointed right at my subject for anything other than creative reasons is someplace I just won't go.  (Think red eye and that big white glare spot on everyone's forehead, especially if they have shiny skin...  oy...)  A swiveling head on your flash (vertical, and 360 if you can find it) makes it possible to employ bounce flashing, which eliminates these problems and makes for more interesting and beautiful 'artificial' lighting.

#2.) TTL - these letters stand for 'through the lens' and are what make a flash self-meter based on what your camera is seeing.  In theory it automatically calculates the correct flash for whatever you're shooting.  In actuality, if you are using bounce flash, it's kind of a useless feature.  It's still a piece of equipment, and therefore only as good as its operator.

#3.) Off-camera sync.  This is a great feature.  It allows you maximum flexibility, as you can remove the flash unit from the camera body and point it wherever you want, from whatever direction you like.  This can be a pricey feature, but well worth it if you can afford it.

In most cases, your best bet when shopping is to go into it with your bottom line in mind, and find a flash that fits within that budget.  You're always wise to do a bit of research.  I like these guys for their relatively unbiased reviews.  (Just do a search for whatever equipment you want a review on, and if it's missing from their list, you can always request a review!)  Some after-market flashes are really inexpensive for a reason (because they are cheap pieces of crap) and some are inexpensive but actually a pretty good deal.  Vivitar comes to mind as a good mid-range prices flash that is a heck of a good deal when you are balancing the books.  

Even if the flash you purchase doesn't have TTL, a swivelling head, or off-camera sync, there are other ways of making it work for you.  For example, if you find a steal of a deal on really great used but older name-brand flash, you can accomplish off-camera syncing by purchasing a hot-shoe extension or wireless remote from many online and local camera stores.

If price is no object and you intend to use your flash quite a bit, buying a flash that is designed to work specifically with your camera is almost always a good option, and which model becomes a question of personal preference.  In your case, the SB600 appears to be more than sufficient for your needs, and the SB800, though it carries a few extra features, may prove useless once I teach you how to avoid using it anyways lol... You may want to look at something like a ring flash, as well, which is designed for macro shots but is also sometimes used for making nifty-looking catchlights in people's eyes.  If you purchase your flash through a reputable dealer, they will have a great return policy.  In your case, Andrea, I would suggest waiting until a few days before the workshop to pick up your flash so that if you decide you want a different model, you aren't outside the allowable no-questions-asked exchange time frame.

For me, because I prefer natural or available light 99.99% of the time, I didn't want to invest a lot in artificial lighting.  I had an ancient Vivitar flash that I used on my old manual camera and then on the D*ist that finally kicked the bucket after I (stupidly) put a cheap battery in it and the leak did some nasty corrosive damage that ended up shorting something out...  ~sigh~  When I had to replace it, I had a very low bottom line.  My artificial lighting equipment now includes a used older model swivel-headed TTL name-brand flash I got for a song off eBay, an ancient Berkey professional strobe from Classic Camera Exchange, and a converter with surge protection and universal wireless remote I purchased after the fact at McBain's so I can use them together.  I opted for a flash that had good lighting distance ('flash range') since I shoot one particular annual function in a gymnasium and have to be able to light the subjects from my spot on the floor up to 100 feet away.  The down side is, it's often a little too powerful for the close-up stuff considering I like a wide aperture.  I often have to stop down in order to not completely white out the faces  of the subjects, taking away my lovely shallow DOF...  woe is me...

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.