givin' me guff...

It appears my slack-ish blog posting is disppointing to some. They've resorted to ~gasp~ phoning to see what's new. I assure you everything is fine - I am just really focussed on getting things ready for the first Dirty Little Secrets workshop this Sunday. (There are still a few spaces available if anyone is interested in signing up or maybe even bringing a friend!) I've also been trying to stay sane this first week back at work - it's start of term and start of the new year and start of the wind-up to fiscal year-end - busy busy, as usual.

I thought that in the meantime for your amusement, as a thank you for your patience and understanding of my absence, I would offer you the following: There are little snippets I have time to think about as I absentmindedly pedal my ass back and forth from work, and one of my favourite things is making up stories about people I see while I'm riding. I note physical characteristics or traits, and postulate about the rest of their lives. Following is a character sketch from the point of view of the cyclist, based on a man I saw on my way to work today.

There is too much road slurpee debris along the edge of Whyte for me to take to the street without being in traffic, so I choose safety over speed. Tall cumbersome fella comes lumbering up the middle of the sidewalk across the Mill Creek Bridge, methodically stepping ~boom-boom-boom-boom~ to the beat of some unseen drum. Strung about his neck is one of those giant lunchbox dealies, the huge soft-bodied ones with the zipper that goes 3/4 of the way around the top. He is wearing it like bling, the giant pouch bouncing ryhthmically against his chest ~boom-boom-boomb-boom~ his puffy insulated locket holding the promise of so much Saran-wrapped and Ziploc'ed lunchroom bliss. He can see himself pacing, savouring his macaroni-bologna-on-Wonderbread-with-bright-happy-yellow-mustard sandwich as he waits for his Boyardee in the microwave to beep. His patience will soon enough rewarded with heaping plastic spoonfuls of tomato-ey noodle goodness. Despite his blank stare dead-ahead, he doesn't see me. I ring my bell and he starts, but eyes me sheepishly rather than swearing or scowling. Even a cyclist on the sidewalk can't ruin the thought of Boyardee for lunch...

Comments

Ah you dirty rat LOL ! You were referring to my call. Well sheesh,, it is about time you blogged ! Now off I go to mind my own business !!

Now I am craving Chef Boyardee .....
Tanya said…
Only you could make a random pedestrian seem interesting, I need to borrow some of that talent.

I am not even really sure if this camera we got was the right kind for the workshop. I have to admit I started reading the instructions and was cross-eyed within the first 10 minutes, way more intimidating than a point and click camera. Can you umm possibly pretty please message or e-mail me the info about the workshop again, I didn't keep it before because I did not own a camera LOL. Thanks in advance.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.