"Yookit, Mama! Bubblegum shoes!"

Today began as a bit of a gong show, so it only seemed appropriate that we ended it with a trip to the carnival...

I couldn't find the lock for Serejane's trailer (Bill had put it in his bag by accident) and so I spent the first 15 minutes of my 'travel time' this morning looking for a replacement or substitute, consequently making me 8 minutes late for work. Work was, as predicted, bonkers today, from the time I got there until the time I left. I worked through lunch, and at 2:30 I went out with one of my co-workers on her smoke break and DIDN'T SMOKE thank you very much (pats herself on the back.) I went because a) I never get a chance to talk to her since I quit and b) because if I don't smoke, I don't take breaks.

(Hang on a minute - Jane wants to type something.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxmmmmcmbbbbbmmmmxbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjba33
fffthtttujijgu8tttttttuutyrtttttt5yu6987y948 9546879576657i

(Thank you Jane for that lovely interjection.)

Where was I? Ah, yes... gong show... at work... then Bill phones. Bill was *going* to pick Serejane up from daycare today, but went home sick by noon, and so I finished up fairly close to 4:00 and headed home. I get to the daycare, and fercryingoutloud, the KEYS to the TRAILER LOCK are GONE. Yes, the reasonable facsimile one I grabbed this morning. I'm not sure what happened, but I presume one of the other kids with magpie issues saw them sparkling and couldn't resist pocketing them. So Jane & I started to walk home. We stopped at the mall on the way home because I needed to order some more contact lenses, and as we're walking through the mall we see a hot pink bike, streamers, chrome, training wheels... and it's called the "Tribal Cupcake!!!" So the LAST thing we need is another bloody bike in our house. But it's taking every fibre in my being to not buy this damned bike, of course, because Serejane's nickname is Cupcake.

I grit my teeth. Move my hand off the debit card. Carry on. As we pass Buck or Two Serejane rips her hand from mine (I HATE it when she does this) and takes off into the store, gleefully squealing, "Yookit, Mama! Bubblegum shoes!!! My ones are purple!!!" She's found the rack of bubblegummy hued $5 and $6 Croc knock-offs, and is holding a pair of lavender ones, about 3 sizes too small. She proceeds to take down a second pair of slightly deeper purple shoes (that won't actually fit Madisyn Emma or anyone else for that matter) announcing, "And these are for Massin Emma!"

As she is loading up my arms with a third pair of purple ones for me, yellow ones for Kaelan, orange ones for Wil, and pink ones for Bill, I was laughing, reminded of our 2006 Christmas shopping trip where we set the kids loose in the dollar store with a list of people to buy for. Wil, Madisyn, and Kaelan all put quite a bit of thought into the gifts they chose, and Serejane, well... she copied Madisyn, mostly... Wil & Kaelan got cars, Madisyn got a wand, Daddy got a mug, Auntie Joanna got a water spritzer... and then came time to buy for Andreas. She hobbles excitedly to the front of the aisle, lugging her basket with her. She puts the basket down and grabs a pack of "Happy New Year Plates, holds them abover her head triumphantly, then proceeds to slam dunk them in the basket yelling, "dray-yesssss!!!!!" The whole mall knew she had located the perfect gift for Andreas.

After sorting out the correct sizes, and an unsuccessful attempt on my part to sway Jane into getting me green ones instead, we couldn't find any for Daddy, not even pink ones. 10 minutes and $30 later, we walked out with 5 pairs of bubblegum shoes; Bill will simply have to wait for Serejane to find a pair in his size.



We get to the optometrist, I order me up some contact lenses, Bill picks us up, and we head off to the daycare with some bolt cutters to retrieve the bike trailer and my bike. We get home, eat some supper, then head off to the lot carnival at Bonnie Doon - the kids to go on the rides, and Bill & I to gawk at the carnies... we mostly just liked the big slide.

This concludes our daily programming. I'm off to finish up my dishes and get to bed at a semi-decent hour, as tomorrow the gong show at work intensifies as we get right up close and personal to a couple of deadlines. Wheee!!!

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.