Ryder

Frankly, I get bored of taking the same pictures over and over again, and am always in the market for a great new idea or theme. My eyes are always peeled for inspiration. Aydin inspired my new 'tube' theme, which I still have to go shopping for, and while the idea for vintage pictures was inspired by Wren, the guinea pig for the boy version of it was Ryder.

I arrived a bit late and was grateful to have Ryder's big sister as a willing assistant setting up my portable studio. In most of Ryder's pictures, he's looking longlingly over my shoulder. One might be inclined to think that he's looking at Mommy or checking out Daddy, or maybe even his big brother or sister.

Nope.

Ceiling fan.

The little guy only had eyes for the slowly turning ceiling fan. Completely mesmerised by it, he was complacent as I stripped him down, and threw him in....



...the suitcase. (And he's not even looking at the ceiling fan in this picture! Yay me!)

This particular suitcase has now become a popular prop. (Propular?) Anyhow. Kids of all ages seem to LOVE this suitcase, circa I'd hazard a guess 1965-ish, with it's swank blue satiny interior and clicky flip-locks. (Heck - *I* even like playing with the clicky flip locks almost as much as bubble wrap!!!) I hunt for props and costumes in a variety of places - everything from dollar and department stores to the florist to garage sales to Goodwill and Value Village. I look for uncommon or obsolete items, items I think will give a certain flair or flavour to the pictures I'm taking, items that are unique to, and reconizable as, hallmark ticdesign.

Much to my husband's chagrin, the collection is in a state of perpetual growth and now takes up the entire back half of the laundry room, spilling out of the large Rubbermade trunks and the two wardrobes and onto the floor. Shoe stretchers, a rusty 1950s baby pram, yellow polka-dot full-length gloves, a waxen Buddha candle, several umbrellas, a hand-smocked infant dress, baskets, ribbons, foliage, bunny ears and elf hats... I carry around a random supply of props when I go to a session. I often have requests, but get especially excited when the client gives me carte blanche do do whatever I want. "Whatever ideas you have will be fine, I'm sure."

As it were, Ryder just happened to scream, "Throw me in a suitcase - it'll be cute!" Thanks for letting me try it out on ya, Ryder! You wear it well!!!

Now. If only we could convince our friends vacationing in Europe or Mexico to show us the same courtesy and throw us in their suitcase, the world would just be a better place, wouldn't it?

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.