Tasha wants to know what the settings on my camera were when I took this indoor shot.  I believe ISO 100, 4.0, 1/20, flash attached but misfired.



Unfortunately, there is no particular setting that is going to work indoors, every time, because you never know what the light is going to be like any place you go.  The light can even vary greatly from one end of a room to another and from one part of a house to another.  This is one of those lighting situations where you kind of have to make decisions on the fly about what settings you will use on your camera to get a proper exposure without camera shake, especially when there isn't enough light to get a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, the widely accepted 'slowest' shutter speed a person should shoot at handheld.  

Options would be: 
1) open up your aperture, if you don't need the depth of field to be particularly deep.
2) use a flash
3) increase your ISO, but remember that anything higher than ISO 800 is going to give you noticeable grain or noise.
4) stabilize the camera on a tripod or flat surface and use a slower shutter speed
5) stabilize yourself and hope for the best with a slower shutter speed - make a tri- or quad-pod with your body, or put as much of your body in contact with a stable object as possible (wall, tree, post, the floor.)

As it happened, I had been using a flash for fill light, bouncing it off the wall someplace off to the left side of the image.  I usually shoot in Av (aperture priority) as I'm picky about DOF - this image required a fairly deep DOF (small aperture) in order to get the entire height of the child in focus.  I usually have my ISO bracketing ISO 100 to 400 unless I am specifically going for grain, or know I may be in low-light situations that require a broader rage of film speeds; since I hate using flash as much a possible, I will often opt for grain over flash.  The lighting was pretty good, but these kids moved so fast that even if I had wanted to change my ISO I probably couldn't have.  Hence the flash.  I didn't have my tripod with me let alone in arm's reach.  

What happened was this:  

My flash didn't cycle fast enough (dying battery), but since I was laying on the floor already with my entire body in contact with a 'stable surface' I was able to keep really still while the shutter speed slowed right down.  Although there is a bit of motion blur and camera shake, unless you zoom in to the actual pixels, it's virtually unnoticeable.  The DOF is also a bit shallower than I would prefer it to be.  There are other ones that are better focussed and better lit, but this one just had the right look and feel, and so I pulled it from the series as my image of choice.  So.  Frankly, this was a lucky shot.  Were I to have to recreate it under less spontaneous conditions, I would say set your camera to your preferred DOF with the film speed at 400 or 800, lay down on the floor, hold your breath, and shoot.

(I promise I'll explain the law of reciprocity in much more depth later....)

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.